Monday, February 14, 2011

Saturday Night Live, Feb 12, 2011: Russell Brand & Chris Brown


Alright people, I owe one of you out there a $1. To my surprise, Katy Perry did not show up on Saturday. Who did show up you ask? Russell Brand's penis. So, if you don't like yelling, British humour, or lot's of junk jokes, it might be best to avoid this episode. However, if you're secure in your manhood, or if you're a lady and you find Russell Brand charming and adorable, watch away.

Traditionally when comics host the show, the monologue is used so they can perform some of their own bits. Keeping with tradition, Russell did a little bit of stand up, with lots of joking about his very tight pants. By the end of the monologue, I thought, wow, that was a lot of crotch talk for one show. If only I knew what was in store.

Like I said before, we had a lot of British laughs throughout the evening, starting off with The Royal Taster:





-Fun tidbit: Watching the Red Carpet for the Grammys Sunday, Russell Brand said to Ryan Seacrest: "I left my voice in Bill Hader's Ear."


No digital short this week, but we did get a preview for a sequel to Snatch! (well sort of...)





-It's funny because 1/2 the time I watch movies like that, I do use closed caption!

so, blah blah, Chris Brown did some cool dance moves to a song that sounded suspiciously like Taio Cruz Dynamite...blah blah. On to what's usually the best part of the show, Update. Seth had several visitors this week, one of which was Hosni Mubarak & the other 2 I bring to you:

up first, it's Eminem & Lil Wayne with a Valentine's song!




-Seriously, I didn't know Taran Killam had it in him. Jay Pharoah has proved his impression chops already this season, but it's exciting to see who all he has up his sleeve!

And the other clip is none other, with Valentine's Day hot spots: Stefon




-I think Stefon will get old, only when Seth & Bill are able to keep a straight face. And, as long as they come up with gems like "Human Suitcases", I think he'll be around for a long time.

Vanessa Bayer got a little taste of Russell's peacock in this sketch, my fav? DJ Terry:




-Yes, that just happened on network TV.

Finally, I leave you with the most British of the sketches, and possibly the silliest. Which means I loved it. Oh, this is also the sketch that took Russell's crotch count to about 8 million.





There you have it, Obviously I always encourage everyone to go watch the full episode anyway, because there are sketches here that you probably didn't like and there are sketches that aired that you might have liked! (Like an ad for a Spiderman: Turn off the Dark lawyer complete with free tickets to the show! or a Vacation Giveaway, with a classic pee your pants moment! or even the answer to your question: What would happen if our current politicians actually met George Washington!)

My favorite thing about this episode is seeing all the newbies hold their own out there. I feel like Vanessa Bayer and Jay Pharoah have already begun to establish themselves, so it was nice to see Taran Killam with a significant role in so many sketches. With Paul Brittain's James Franco last week, he's slowly making his way too. Keep up the funny kids! I love it!


Next up: Miley Cyrus and the Strokes March 5!

This is too far away! I'm so excited for the Strokes, we can only hope that they are featured in a Digital Short. (Hey, Jules was featured in Boombox on the last album! it could happen!) And oh man, If Miley meets Vanessa Bayer's Miley, hey, that'd be pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment